Your air purifier has been serving just the purpose you want it to serve. It’s been getting rid of dust, pet dander, pollen and all other forms of contaminants from the air in your home. As a result of constantly doing this, the air purifier’s pre-filter is bound to get dirty. This is why once you notice a drop in its purifying efficiency, it’s time to clean the air purifier’s filter. That is if by any chance your air purifier isn’t one of those that let you know it’s time to clean by making some light come on or displaying it on the air purifier’s display.
Air purifiers come with multiple filters, the first being the pre-filter. It is this pre-filter that is in charge of picking up and purifying the air of large contaminants. Basically, it acts as the air purifier’s first line of defense against contaminants and pollutants. Once it effectively performs this function, the other filters are able to work at optimum levels. As pre-filters are reusable, all you have to do to get back to breathing in high-quality fresh air is to clean appropriately.
Ideally, you should clean your filter on a monthly basis. So, you don’t necessarily have to wait till you see some contaminants that would otherwise have been gotten rid of lying around. You should get proactive! Cleaning regularly would not only improve the quality of air that you breathe in, but it would also make your air purifier last long. When it’s cleaning time, here’s how to go about it the simple and yet effective way.
Related post: How Often Should You Change Your Air Purifier Filter
Steps to take to clean your air purifier pre-filter
1. Turn off the air purifier and unplug it from its power source
2. Open the front part (or back depending on the brand and model) of the purifier to be able to access the pre-filter. Take out the pre-filter.
3. Shake the pre-filter and examine it after to check if doing that has caused the dust and dirt to fall off. If you still notice dirt on it then you should proceed to the next step.
4. It’s time to wash your pre-filter. Under no circumstance should you use a machine to wash it. The washing has to be done by hand. Place it in a bowl of warm soapy water and wash gently with your hand. Wash for about 2-3 minutes or until it is completely clean.
5. Rinse with clean water and dab the pre-filter with a dry towel to get the drying process started. Allow the pre-filter to air-dry for some time, say 30-45 minutes.
6. Reinsert it into the air purifier
Voila! It’s all done.
For proper functioning, every pre-filter needs to be cleaned regularly. Cleaning it is in no way a herculean task. So, you should follow the simple steps above and set your air purifier up for efficient and effective purification. Not only would it benefit your respiratory system but it would also give you value for the money spent on the air purifier.